The Canyon of Lodore - often referred to as "Gates of Lodore for the prominent geologic feature that greets its' entrants, is short on miles, but long on character. When you reach the take-out, you'll be convinced that you've actually just completed three separate rafting trips...and in some way, you have.
The Green River carves a course through three unique canyons as it cuts through Dinosaur National Monument - Lodore, Whirlpool and Split Mountain - each with its' own distinctive colors, geological oddities, and character. Lodore was the first major canyon encountered by the famous explorer John Wesley Powell on his 1869 expedition, and while their misfortunes led to rapids receiving names like Disaster Falls and Hell’s Half Mile, we're certain you'll find this place to be a little piece of heaven.
A relatively short canyon in terms of length, Lodore thereby leaves plenty of time for exploratory hikes to pictographs, waterfalls, and shaded grottoes - or long afternoons filled with uninhabited play that fills the entire canyon with giggles.
GATES OF LODORE ITINERARY INCLUDES:
- Our expedition begins at the Gates of Lodore campground and boat ramp, where we'll camp the night before launch and begin exploring the GOALS curriculum.
- The next morning, we'll pass through the looming "Gates of Lodore" into an area where the colors come alive thanks to the sunlight bouncing off the dark red canyon walls.
- Enjoy hikes to Winnie’s Grotto (named for the daughter of one of Powell's men), Rippling Brook, and Jones Hole - each with a unique reward at the end of the hike.
- Revel in the excitement of rapids named by the Powell expedition including Upper and Lower Disaster Falls, Harp Falls, Triplet Falls, and Hell's Half Mile.
- Experience the wonder of "Echo Park" where the Green River confluences with the mighty free-flowing Yampa River.
- Finish your expedition on a high note in Split Mountain Canyon as the river changes character with increased volume and gradient - offering several great rapids that conclude your expedition. Our expedition ends at the Split Mountain Boat Ramp in Dinosaur National Monument - not far from Vernal, UT.
Please use the "Register Now" button to reserve your spot on the specific Gates of Lodore expedition you are interested in, or CONTACT GOALS if you have questions.
AVAILABLE DATES IN 2018:
THURSDAY, MAY 31 - TUESDAY, JUNE 5.
6 days. $1,470 / person.
FULL PERMIT (20 spots) AVAILABLE.